Questions to a Person Who Cannot Hear and Needs Captions. Chapter 1
June 5, 2011 Comments Off on Questions to a Person Who Cannot Hear and Needs Captions. Chapter 1
Where to start? There are so many questions posed by others. We’ll begin with a few of the questions only. And we begin talking about “captions” that are sometimes called real time speech to text translation, or “cart” for communication access real time translation, or “cart” for computer assisted transcription.
1. You seem to speak clearly, so are you really deaf or hard of hearing?
2. You do hear or you don’t hear? How much do you hear? Do you hear anything?
3. How come you can talk with me right now without captioning?
4. Why don’t you learn sign language? Isn’t that what all deaf people do?
5. What is that machine that does all this for you?
6. Don’t really deaf people need sign language more than you need captioning?
7. How did that happen to you?
8. Do I talk to you or to the captioner?
9. Who’s paying for that?
10. You seem more yourself when you have a captioner – is that how you feel?
Any questions about the questions? Send them to me.